fbpx


Juozas Naujalis

FESTIVAL SPACES


Kaunas is the second largest city in Lithuania and it is important science, industry and entertainment centre with deep historical and cultural traditions. It has become a tradition that “Kaunas Cantat” events are held in the best concert halls, the most beautiful churches and monasteries with special acoustic and history.


Kaunas State Philharmonic

Kaunas

 

  Is located in the former Palace of Justice and the Parliament. This building was designed by architect Edmund Fryk and it is classified as neo-classical style building with bright „art-deco“ architectural elements. In 1936 the main body of the House was renovated and on the 1st of September in Great Hall there was Opening meeting of Parliament. In 2008 Philharmonic was renovated and Kaunas audience was invited to new shining Kaunas Philharmonic building. The main hall holds more than half a thousand people, also there are new rehearsal and rest rooms, sound record studio, gallery.

 


Kaunas Cathedral Basilica

Kaunas

 

  Is a Roman Catholic cathedral basilica in Kaunas, Lithuania. The exact date when the first Gothic style church dedicated to apostles Saint Peter and Saint Paul, was built is unknown, but it was first mentioned in written sources in 1413. The first parochial school in Kaunas at the St. Peter and St. Paul church was mentioned in 1473. The construction works were concluded only in 1624. The church greatly suffered from wars in 1655 and was rebuilt in 1671 and gained some Renaissance features. Only one of the towers was rebuilt after the fire of the roof in 1732. As a part of renovation, the internal decorations were funded by the King Stanisław August Poniatowski in 1771. The main altar, a lectern and a choir were installed by Tomasz Podhajski in 1775. The present day shape of the building is from 1800 renovation. The church was promoted to cathedral status by Pope Leo XIII in 1895. It received the Basilica title in 1926, when the Diocese of Samogitia was reorganized into the Metropolitan Archdiocese of Kaunas by Pope Pius XI. The cathedral is the largest Gothic church in Lithuania. The Chapel of the Blessed Sacrament, built in 1895, is an independent extension of the southern nave with carved wood furnishings in the neo-gothic style.

 


Kaunas Juozas Naujalis Music Gymnasium

Kaunas

 

   

 


Raudondvaris Castle

Kaunas

 

Raudondvaris manor is the monument of the beginning of the 17th century of Renaissance architecture in Lithuania. Manor overlooks on the right bank of the upper terrace of the river Nevėžis near the confluence of the Nemunas and Nevėžis, 9 km from Kaunas-Jurbarkas direction. The main building of the Raudondvaris ensemble is the castle-palace with a tower. It was built in the second half of the 17th century. The estate, together with 3.8 hectares of park and two Oficina buildings, an orangery, stables and an ice-house, consists a single ensemble.

Sponsors: